Essential Steps to Take When Encountering a Dental Emergency
Have you any indication about when you can encounter a dental emergency? You could begin searching for emergency dental services amid Sunday lunch because of sudden pain in the tooth or a crack that may develop.
The need to see your dentist immediately will undoubtedly bother you, especially if the problem affecting you is on holiday or a weekend. However, there are some steps you can take, even in these situations. What can you do to help yourself during a dental emergency?
Attempt to Ease Your Pain While Trying to Find Professional Help
You could be overwhelmed with the need to call urgent dental care, but you must remain calm and make attempts to ease the pain affecting you before calling an emergency dental clinic. Here are some steps to help you.
- Use hot or cold compresses on the affected area to alleviate the pain and swelling. You can use hot or cold compresses to understand what works best for your situation.
- Rinse your mouth with warm water or an alcohol-free mouthwash. It will help to keep your mouth clean and prevent further infections.
- You can take over-the-counter pain medications if the pain affecting you is severe because it can help to ease the pain and also reduce swelling.
How to Determine If You Are Encountering a Dental Emergency in Reality?
Before calling emergency dental care, attempt to assess your pain level. If the pain being experienced is mild, you can wait for your regular dentist to see you. Moderate levels of anxiety can interfere with your daily activities to necessitate a visit to the dentist in Ottawa, ON, sooner rather than later. Severe pain impacts your ability to go about your everyday activities and brings upon you the need to visit emergency dentistry in Ottawa, ON, immediately.
Figuring out Whether You Need Emergency Dental Services Right Away
Some instances of dental emergencies can confuse you even as you are experiencing pain and discomfort. You may not be sure whether it is a dental emergency or just a passing issue. Schedule an appointment with an emergency dentist if you are affected by one or more of the following dental problems or symptoms.
- A knocked-out tooth.
- Severe bleeding.
- A fractured root.
- Broken or cracked tooth.
- Tooth pain or swelling.
- Dental abscess.
If you experience any of the dental problems described above, do not hesitate to make a call to emergency dental services. The earlier you have your mouth examined the fewer complications you will have in the long run.
Finding an Emergency Dentist Working on Weekends or Holidays
Finding an emergency dentist on weekdays will not be challenging, especially during business hours. However, things are entirely different on holidays or weekends and also beyond working hours.
When you encounter a dental emergency, your regular dentist must be the first dental professional you must call. Even when the problem affects you after business hours, you can still call the dental office because most dentists have a recorded message to refer you out of a real dental emergency. If you do not have a regular dentist, you can research for an emergency dentist near you working on holidays that have excellent reviews online. You will undoubtedly come across reviews of the dentist in Ottawa, ON, and also receive an appointment to cope with the problem affecting you.
Minimizing the Risks of Dental Emergencies
Dental emergencies can and do happen to require attention from a dental professional when least expected. However, you can minimize the risks of emergencies occurring or even prevent them by following the suggestions mentioned below:
- If you are a participant in contact sports or other recreational activities, consider wearing a mouth guard to safeguard your teeth.
- You must avoid chewing on ice, hard candy, and popcorn kernels, which can potentially crack your tooth.
- Your teeth are not designed to cut and open things. Use scissors or bottle openers instead of your teeth.
- If you have a broken tooth without pain, you must still visit your dentist before the problem aggravates.
- Visit a dental professional for regular cleanings and exams as they can help you to detect issues in your mouth to prevent emergencies from occurring.
Despite following the suggestions, if you are still affected by an emergency, do not hesitate to contact emergency dentistry in Ottawa, ON, for the help you need.